Religious attitudes in the UK

Tony Williams

Religious attitudes in the UK

Post by Tony Williams »

An interesting report in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... n-God.html
Atheism and agnosticism are now the majority creed among the male population but almost two thirds of women believe in Heaven or an afterlife, according to the study which has been tracking 9,000 people now in their early 40s for more than 25 years.

...only one in six members of the Church of England or the other main protestant denominations say they believe without doubt in God. Just a third of Roman Catholics in the study said the same compared to 88 per cent of Muslims and 71 per cent of those categorised as evangelical Christians.
Abdul Alhazred

Re: Religious attitudes in the UK

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

1) Women are more spiritual.

2) The C of E is a gentlemen's club. Islam is a religion.
Yes, that one.
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: The C of E is a gentlemen's club.
I wouldn't say that old chap. A Gentleman's Club does not allow men to wear dresses in public, only behind locked doors inside the club. The CofE is full of men wearing dresses in public. And the CofE now allows women to wear the dresses too! Outrageous lefty peasants!

My mother has always been happy to say that she is agnostic and doesn't believe in gods; but that her religion is CofE. Doesn't make sense to me but she is not alone; there are lots of non-religious people hiding under that umbrella. Father Lionel Fanthorpe, famous fortean and a CofE/CofW priest, once described himself as "as close to an atheist as it is possible to be" for an Anglican priest. I don't think he was correct, there are loads of 100% non-believers amongst their priesthood.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Croydon13013 wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote: The C of E is a gentlemen's club.
I wouldn't say that old chap. A Gentleman's Club does not allow men to wear dresses in public, only behind locked doors inside the club. The CofE is full of men wearing dresses in public. And the CofE now allows women to wear the dresses too! Outrageous lefty peasants!

My mother has always been happy to say that she is agnostic and doesn't believe in gods; but that her religion is CofE. Doesn't make sense to me but she is not alone; there are lots of non-religious people hiding under that umbrella. Father Lionel Fanthorpe, famous fortean and a CofE/CofW priest, once described himself as "as close to an atheist as it is possible to be" for an Anglican priest. I don't think he was correct, there are loads of 100% non-believers amongst their priesthood.
Sounds like your mum is a 'cultural Anglican'. Even Richard Dawkins admits to that.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

chaggle wrote:Sounds like your mum is a 'cultural Anglican'. Even Richard Dawkins admits to that.
Yes, but I bet he wasn't listed on the last census as being CofE. I find it strange that a non-believer would want to do that.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Croydon13013 wrote:
chaggle wrote:Sounds like your mum is a 'cultural Anglican'. Even Richard Dawkins admits to that.
Yes, but I bet he wasn't listed on the last census as being CofE. I find it strange that a non-believer would want to do that.
I am an Irish Kat-licker, I don't do the god thing and do not declare on census as such, but it is part of who I am.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

My Mum's a Humanist but she has definite woo tendencies.... :wry
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

I had to laugh at this ambiguous sub-title which appeared on the BBC News website:
Women are two thirds more likely to believe in God than men
We do exist, honest!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony Williams wrote:I had to laugh at this ambiguous sub-title which appeared on the BBC News website:
Women are two thirds more likely to believe in God than men
We do exist, honest!
;-)
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con