Seasonal Spirits.

Tony Williams

Re: Seasonal Spirits.

Post by Tony Williams »

I have been continuing my affair with Talisker Storm, but have also been discovering the pleasures of malts with less powerful flavours. At a visit to the Bushmills distillery earlier this year (in case you were wondering, it wasn't the only reason I was in Ulster) I picked up a bottle of Founder's Reserve which is very smooth and light. I've also been enjoying some Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old Islay, again very smooth and rich; this makes Talisker seem rather fierce.

Incidentally, on a US trip last year I tried a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon; wow, what a smooth and rich flavour!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony Williams wrote:
chaggle wrote:All the pubs are closed and I don't drink at home so that's it - I'm on the wagon for Christmas day.
I think that counts as extreme deprivation if not an infringement of your human rights :o
Tonight we're providing the entertainment at a local social club - so I won't be drinking again.

See you all next year. :wa
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Am I allowed to wander OT? I approached the New Year with a 10yo tawny port. I can't say I'm anything near a port person, but I found it a very pleasant taste. Yes, the 20yr or 30yr would be superior, but rather too pricey for me.

Happy New Year to all.
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Matt

Post by Matt »

Very warming...
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Returning to the Scottish nectar...I'm currently trying the Arran 14yo single malt, bottled at 46%, though I'm finding a little added water goes nicely. The Arran Distillery is one of Scotland's newer ones, having opened in June, 1995. They produce 12 single malts plus some limited editions. http://www.arranwhisky.com/age-verification

First impressions of the 14yo - undramatic, sweetish, but with decent length of flavour. Something for a nice summer evening, if we ever get one.....
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Very brief comment on my first taste of Japanese whisky. "Nikka From the Barrel" is described as "Double Matured Blended Whisky". My sample came in a 50 cl bottle at 51.4% abv. For me, a fair amount of added water was needed, but a stunning mouthful. Just amazing. A little goes a long way.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/n ... el-whisky/
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

About 18 months ago I was in New York and fancied trying a bourbon, and it just so happened that our little hotel in Manhattan had an upmarket booze shop as part of the same building, so after asking for a "really smooth, rich-flavoured" drink we walked out with a small battle of this:

Absolute magic, a terrific drink. You can buy it in the UK, including very cheaply from amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodford-Reser ... B001P4YYH0
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Thanks for that, Tony. I'll look out for it.

Santa also gave me my first opportunity to taste Welsh whisky. This was the Penderyn single malt, matured in bourbon barrels and finished in Madeira wine casks. No age stated but bottled at 46% abv. I added too much water to the first sample, with not more than a teaspoonful to the second. I found it very attractive - smooth and with hints of calvados.

I certainly will feel encouraged to try some of their other bottlings in the next few months.

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote:About 18 months ago I was in New York and fancied trying a bourbon, and it just so happened that our little hotel in Manhattan had an upmarket booze shop as part of the same building, so after asking for a "really smooth, rich-flavoured" drink we walked out with a small battle of this:

Absolute magic, a terrific drink. You can buy it in the UK, including very cheaply from amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodford-Reser ... B001P4YYH0
Tasting this right now. Waitrose had a special offer over Christmas - £22 rather than the usual £30, so couldn't resist.
I've tasted very little Bourbon so claim no knowledge at all, but this is a very smooth, tasty drop, and lingers on the palette. I find an added teaspoonful of water suits me well.
Thanks for mentioning. :thumb:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

bindeweede wrote: Tasting this right now. Waitrose had a special offer over Christmas - £22 rather than the usual £30, so couldn't resist.
I've tasted very little Bourbon so claim no knowledge at all, but this is a very smooth, tasty drop, and lingers on the palette. I find an added teaspoonful of water suits me well.
Thanks for mentioning. :thumb:
Glad you like it!

I must admit that when I feel like a whisky these days, I choose the bourbon more often than not.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Not just at the moment, thanks all the same. :shock:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/373 ... 0-year-old
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

bindeweede wrote:Not just at the moment, thanks all the same. :shock:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/373 ... 0-year-old
NSFW
Spoiler:
Feck Me!!!
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I find that kind of thing rather sad, because it's not intended for drinking - just as an investment. Same with a lot of expensive wine; it is made as a drink but no-one ever drinks it!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Same with ... art, jewellery, commemorative gold coins, antiques, stamps ...

I see no point in useless articles having artificial value. They do nothing for me.