Seasonal Spirits.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Seasonal Spirits.

Post by bindeweede »

With a birthday approaching - my 46th :D :D :D - I decided to treat myself to a bottle of single malt. (I think this might be déjà vu all over again.) On special offer in several shops was a 12 year old Highland Park, from Orkney. In the interests of quality control, in case it needs to be returned, I decided to try a drop last night, with a little water. I have to say it went down very nicely, although further testing tonight might be necessary.

I do like the island malts of Scotland, apart from Laphroaig, the last bottle of which I found just too "tarry" and medicinal. I have heard rumours that Santa might be presenting me with a bottle of Talisker, which would be much appreciated, and if he is feeling particularly generous, he might be prepared to offer the Lagavulin 16 YO, first recommended to me by Lord Muck several years ago.

Would any other members like to share their tastes for a drop of their favourite special tipple? Cognac? Calvados? Armagnac.

(No jokes about cherry brandy, Advocaat and Cream Liqueurs, please :evil: )
Asthmatic Camel

Re: Seasonal Spirits.

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

So many to choose from...

My absolute favourite has to be Wood's 100 Old Navy Rum. At 57% ABV/100% proof, it's surprisingly smooth with a deliciously complex flavour. A perfect Winter warmer, (if you're not driving.)

Whisky? I prefer the Speyside single malts like The Macallan and Glenfiddich; the island malts are far too peaty for my taste. Of the blends, VAT69 comes top in my book, closely followed by Chivas Regal.

Gin? Bombay Sapphire every time. Full strength at 40% ABV, (unlike most of its rivals), and very well-flavoured, it's the business for a G&T or Gin & It.

An occasional glass of Cointreau, neat over ice, hits the spot, as does Kir, A French mix of crème de cassis, (blackcurrant spirit) and white wine.

For breakfast, nothing beats a Bloody Mary, made to my special, secret recipe. Just the job to cure a hangover!

As a former publican, I could go on and on and on...
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

It's always interesting to read the views of those in the trade or those who have been. I agree about Bombay Sapphire. As far as rum goes, I haven't tried it for many years. Some experimentation required. I assumed the Woods would be pretty expensive, but it seems not to be.

But it's good night from him....and
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

My favourite spirit is Osborne 103 Brandy from Jerez just up the road. Nice and smooth and only 36% - somewhat less powerful than French Brandy. I can only partake occasionally now as 40 years of abuse starts to take its toll. Only 7 Euros a bottle here :ck

BTW Here Bombay Sapphire is 47% :mrgreen:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

I currently have Ardbeg and Caol Ila on the go (in the interests of comparative testing, of course). I think I prefer the Caol Ila, though that needs confirming by more thorough analysis.... :y

This follows a similar exercise involving Lagavulin and Talisker, which resulted in a win for Lagavulin. Next comes the grand final between Lagavulin and Caol Ila... :si
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

chaggle wrote:My favourite spirit is Osborne 103 Brandy from Jerez just up the road. Nice and smooth and only 36% - somewhat less powerful than French Brandy. I can only partake occasionally now as 40 years of abuse starts to take its toll. Only 7 Euros a bottle here :ck

I'm with Chaggle on this one. When I have been out drinking wine and had enough (yes, it DOES happen) if someone suggests a 103 then magically I find I fancy one... :si
Matt

Post by Matt »

Let's add Balvenie and Oban to the competition
Asthmatic Camel

bindeweede wrote:It's always interesting to read the views of those in the trade or those who have been. I agree about Bombay Sapphire. As far as rum goes, I haven't tried it for many years. Some experimentation required. I assumed the Woods would be pretty expensive, but it seems not to be.

But it's good night from him....and
Another good option for rum is Pusser's Navy Rum. At 54.5%, it's not quite as powerful as Wood's 100 and is more expensive but it's up there with the best. It purports to be a recreation of the traditional navy rum issued to British sailors by the ship's purser, (the name is a corruption), at the rate of one pint a day. I suppose that was one good reason to go to sea! Either make an excellent chaser with a good barley wine at this time of year. My personal favourite, Old Tom is produced by local brewers Robinson's. It's the best I've tasted.

Particularly popular with the ladies, (and me), is a BMW. One liqueur measure of Bailey's Irish Cream, one spirit measure of Malibu and one spirit measure of Whisky, stirred and served in a tumbler on the rocks. If you really want to be loved, finish with grated chocolate.

:-P
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

chaggle wrote: BTW Here Bombay Sapphire is 47% :beer
I think it was the same in the UK when it was launched, but it is 40% now. :(
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Mmm ... I love the idea of the BMW above. Shaken, not stirred, I presume? :-P I'm two-thirds of the way there - got the Baileys and the Malibu, out of whiskey at the moment (only Jamesons will do); I only ever use it normally for Irish Coffees or as stock for Spaghetti Bolognese (yes, it really does add a certain 'something' to the dish). Now that I have another delightful sounding use for the whiskey, it's on my shopping list as from today!
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
Asthmatic Camel

Ketchup, you've inspired me to create a BMC, substituting De Kuyper's Creme de Cacao for the Bailey's. I just know that would work!

I'm going to buy some. :)
Asthmatic Camel

bindeweede wrote:
chaggle wrote: BTW Here Bombay Sapphire is 47% :beer
I think it was the same in the UK when it was launched, but it is 40% now. :bab
Yes, it was. Blame Her Majesty's Customs and Excise for the difference. They'll screw you for selling watered-down spirits but pretty much force the manufacturers to do so.
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

Asthmatic Camel wrote:Ketchup, you've inspired me to create a BMC, substituting De Kuyper's Creme de Cacao for the Bailey's. I just know that would work!

I'm going to buy some. :)
Sounds good, AC, but wouldn't that be a CMW(?) or perhaps a CdCMW(?) :)
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
Asthmatic Camel

Oh, yes it would.

Silly me haz been dwinking again.

:ro
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

I still love my vodka....doesn't seem to give me a hangover which is a big bonus!
Posting this as my new 'festive feet' avatar doesn't seem to have appeared :(
Merry Xmas to you all!
Tink x