Some recent crime series

Tony.Williams

Some recent crime series

Post by Tony.Williams »

I always enjoy browsing through foreign-language crime series such as those on the More4 website under the "Walter Presents" heading.

One recent one is "Bullets", which is a mix of conventional crime and a political assassination plot set in Finland. Ten episodes of 45 minutes each (making one continuous story), and we watched all ten over two evenings without once nodding off! Very rare.... the story is intriguing, the drama exciting and the characterisation very good. Definitely one of the best such serials I have seen.

Possibly even better is "Nordic Murders" - the worst thing about it is the terrible title, particularly since it isn't actually set in any Nordic country! It is set on the NE corner of Germany on the Baltic Sea coast, right on the border with Poland, and the action crosses the border (observing the professional and personal relationships between Poles and Germans is interesting). The German title is "Usedom Mysteries" as the location of most of the action is the island of Usedom, which is a cross between a nature reserve and an old-fashioned holiday resort. I love this kind of setting, it's a big part of the appeal for me, but also the story is intricate and involving, the characters very good, and the denouement is both surprising and logical. Five episodes are available, but more are available in Germany.

Finally, and a complete contrast, the second series of "The Mallorca Files" is now on BBC 1 in the afternoons. The first series was very likeable and the second is continuing that, featuring an oddball pair of detectives (a German man and a British woman) investigating crimes concerning foreign visitors to the island of Majorca (or Mallorca if you prefer). It's light-hearted in tone (apart from the odd murder, naturally), is often very funny and the scenery is great. Its appeal is similar to Death in Paradise, but The Mallorca Files is better - much better. I believe that the first series is still available on iPlayer and I recommend starting with at least episode 1 as that sets the scene. Each episode is self-contained, but the relationship between the two detectives develops throughout.

Enjoy!
chaggle

Re: Some recent crime series

Post by chaggle »

Spotted that The Mallorca files was back on but didn't realise it was a new series - will definitely be watching that so thanks for the heads-up.

Two to catch...

On right now - The Bay (2nd series - worth catching the first if you can) - ITV

Also, started Monday - last of 4 tonight, The Drowning - Ch5
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

The Bay - saw the first series, definitely watching the new one (stacking the episodes up in PVR because I don't like to wait a week between episodes.

The Drowning - didn't record that, something put me off.

The Mallorca Files - series 2 will be finishing shortly, then they go straight into repeating Series 1.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Watched the first episode of "The Drowning" tonight. A bit slow to start, but it improved. Will stick with it and watch second tomorrow - after Corrie, obviously. :thumb
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Damned difficult to hear what they're saying in The Mallorca Files.

Poor sound and they mumble.

And some of them speak funny. :???:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm Damned difficult to hear what they're saying in The Mallorca Files.

I agree. It seems to be a common complaint with TV drama these days. At least with the foreign-language ones we can read the subtitles!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Aaaarggghhhh!!!

The end of Death in Paradise. :gh
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:08 pm Aaaarggghhhh!!!

The end of Death in Paradise. :gh
The series are rather short, aren't they? Brilliant ending, though - I laughed out loud!
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Tony.Williams wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:09 pm
Possibly even better is "Nordic Murders" - the worst thing about it is the terrible title, particularly since it isn't actually set in any Nordic country! It is set on the NE corner of Germany on the Baltic Sea coast, right on the border with Poland, and the action crosses the border (observing the professional and personal relationships between Poles and Germans is interesting). The German title is "Usedom Mysteries" as the location of most of the action is the island of Usedom, which is a cross between a nature reserve and an old-fashioned holiday resort. I love this kind of setting, it's a big part of the appeal for me, but also the story is intricate and involving, the characters very good, and the denouement is both surprising and logical. Five episodes are available, but more are available in Germany.
By a curious coincidence, I recently came across another reference to Usedom, in "V2", Robert Harris's new WW2 novel. At the other end of the island is a small place called Peenemünde....
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Set in Bath - the second series of MacDonald and Dodds has started.

Might not be to everyone's taste - very quirky - but I love it.

Laugh out loud stuff.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:45 am
chaggle wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm Damned difficult to hear what they're saying in The Mallorca Files.

I agree. It seems to be a common complaint with TV drama these days. At least with the foreign-language ones we can read the subtitles!
Not a crime drama but we gave up on The Terror tonight after about 10 minutes - couldn't make out what they were saying at all.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 pm Set in Bath - the second series of MacDonald and Dodds has started.

Might not be to everyone's taste - very quirky - but I love it.

Laugh out loud stuff.
Same here - just pitched at the right sort of level for me.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Not at all recent, but Drama channel has been broadcasting "WPC56" on Saturday nights, originally broadcast by BBC early afternoons, 2013, which is why I've never seen it. Good period detail, imo. Very decent drama.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Just watched the first two episodes of Bloodlands set in Northern Ireland starring James Nesbitt.

Produced by Jed Mercurio (Line of Duty)

Must watch
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Anyone watching Unforgotten? :shock: