COVID - Double Masking

Matt

COVID - Double Masking

Post by Matt »

Seen once in the wild last night and twice seen it recommended this morning on Twitter. Wearing two face masks.
The one in Sainsbury's had a cloth mask on first and a surgical mask over it. Chap on twitter was suggesting a putting a medical mask on first and covering it with a mask that would seal the gaps around the nose and the sides.

I do remember during the AIDS epidemic that some started double wrapping with condoms however it was discovered that the friction between the two layers of rubber made it more likely to split both than a single layer. So whilst additional layers of protection might be intuitively safer I'm alert to the possibility of the unintended consequence.

I use 3 ply surgical grade masks. So that's already multiple layers in its own way. I'm aware that the different layers have different properties. The outer layer is "splash resistant against bodily fluids" So if you do encounter covid particles outside, they're less likely to stick to your face mask. I suspect that wearing a cloth mask outside of this negates that benefit. Can anybody think of anything else or seen a qualified medical professional weigh in on this subject?
chaggle

Re: COVID - Double Masking

Post by chaggle »

I saw a (non-expert) comment on this the other day - that proper masks (don't know which type) form a good seal around the edge and that wearing two would be counter productive as this seal would be compromised.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

We bought a couple of these the other day...

https://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/bears/ ... ring.html

Came with this proviso...
This item is not intended for use as PPE, and should not be used in situations where PPE is required. This item is for use simply to cover the lower part of the face and mouth as required
...which is a bit ambiguous. :???:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

While looking for info on Sue Pilkington the silly homeopath, this video was suggested to me (which is a bit spooky TBH)

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Matt

Post by Matt »

Surprised to see that the talking head on that video was a professor of civil and environmental engineering. Not sure of the relevance of that qualification. The next video suggested was this one titled Dr. Fauci: Double Masking Against Mutant Coronavirus ‘Just Makes Common Sense’

(To switch to full screen, click the Full screen icon in the bottom corner of the video player.

To exit out of full screen, press Esc on your keyboard or click the Full screen icon again.)

Whilst I was more interested in Dr Fauci's opinion the headline refers only to a small section of the video where Dr Fauci was asked if double masking worked and his response was, yes probably, it would make sense if it were more effective. But seemed directed more at cloth masks than masks that already utilized multiple layers

So my loosely held opinion at the moment is N95 95% effective, surgical masks 90% effective, basic bandanna style or cloth mask 50% effective. But these 50% effective makeshift masks, doubled up may start to approach the effectiveness of medical grade masks.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Commenting as an ignorant bystander, what seems clear to me is that a metal strip along the upper edge of the mask is highly beneficial as it can be shaped to fit around the top of the nose, making a close fit. Otherwise, the air movement as you breathe will simply go past the nose (steaming up any glasses as it does); and the thicker and more effective the mask material, the more likely it is that the air will find easier routes to bypass the mask.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I guess I can count my blessings that I only wear glasses for reading and only wear masks when out of the house. So far the intersection of reading when out of the house has been limited to shopping activities such as checking how many grams of carbs there are in a protein bar. The answer, as I'm sure you're eager to know, is "dammit I've left my reading glasses at home, oh bugger it, it'll probably be just fine" or "21g once I got home"

In another world I'm sure the metal strip in my masks would be indispensable for glasses fogging purposes but for now I only get the side benefit of slowing the spread of a deadly disease ;-)