I met a PM who wasn't there.
She wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish she'd go away.

"With apologies."

DAG via Twitter.
Tony.Williams

Re: On the PM.

Post by Tony.Williams »

What I can't understand is that May still seems to want the job. I am amazed she hasn't suffered a nervous breakdown, given the level of stress she has been under.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Absolutely.

How can she sleep at night? Normally that question is use rhetorically but on this occasion it's real.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Thinking about it, the danger period for May (in terms of mental and physical health) seems most likely to come when she finally gives up and resigns. I suspect it's a bit like fighting in a war - the excitement and adrenaline rush keep soldiers going in battle. It's after they've left the army that PTSD kicks in.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:15 pm Thinking about it, the danger period for May (in terms of mental and physical health) seems most likely to come when she finally gives up and resigns.
Some in Westminster are suggesting it could be tonight.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

"Who Theresa May has tears for
Herself.

Who Theresa May does not have tears for
The homeless,
Kids in poverty,
Victims of the DWP,
Grenfell fire victims,
Windrush generation,
The people of Yemen,
The Nurses using foodbanks."

No sympathy, ever, from me.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I see the knives are out already among the multitude of contenders for the Tory leadership.

I have occasionally seen it suggested that in any sane democracy, campaigning to become leader should result in automatic disqualification, because such ambitious people cannot be trusted.

In the present political circumstances, the contenders should arguably not only be barred, but sectioned.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Funny how much trouble political parties have in electing leaders, is it not? Labour's system produced a totally unexpected result, which doesn't seem to be working out too well. Now the Tories have a dozen (and counting) candidates, which is just a joke. They could easily modify their system by requiring candidates to obtain a lot more than two other MPs to back them, but each time parties change the selection system they seem to discover a different problem...
Matt

Post by Matt »

LIb Dems also having a leadership contest. They've obviously done quite well under Vince Cable's "Bollox to Brexit" banner so he's leaving on a high. Personally he's my least favourite Lib Dem so will be glad to see new blood.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Yes - both of the Lib Dem candidates seem quite credible.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Saw Andrea Leadsom interviewed by Andrew Marr. To my great surprise, she came across as very competent and thoroughly on top of her brief. Very clear and crisp responses, no waffling.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Tony.Williams wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 pm Saw Andrea Leadsom interviewed by Andrew Marr. To my great surprise, she came across as very competent and thoroughly on top of her brief. Very clear and crisp responses, no waffling.
She flattered to deceive.... from Chris Grey's blog:
Amongst the absurdities of the different candidates’ positions on Brexit are the familiar non-starters of a re-negotiated Withdrawal Agreement (WA), primarily seeking to ditch the Irish backstop, as well as the oxymoron of the ‘managed no deal’.

The latter has been given a particularly egregious twist by Andrea Leadsom, who accepts that the WA is not going to be renegotiated and is dead, but amongst other impossibilities, proposes to enshrine in UK law those parts of what has been agreed which are acceptable to the UK, for example security and intelligence-sharing relationships. The gaping hole in that ‘plan’ is that without the WA there is no agreement with the EU on those selected parts, and UK law has no power over the EU or EU states.
It seems that Marr wasn't on the ball last Sunday, as he let her argument pass without correction.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Anyway she's gone and the race to the leadership has begun.

I watched Hunt launch his bid this morning and I was struck that on two or three occasions he said 'we must do - blah blah blah or our party is finished' or 'we mustn't - X Y Z or our party will be destroyed in the next election'.

More worried about the party than the nation.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Post by Matt »

He's campaigning to the party. The nation doesn't get a say on who leads us out of the undemocratic EU, just the party....
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Matt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:49 pm He's campaigning to the party. The nation doesn't get a say on who leads us out of the undemocratic EU, just the party....
True, but I very much noticed what Chaggle did. It was all about saving the Tories not the country. Hopefully floating voters will be noticing the same thing.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an