PEMF

chaggle

PEMF

Post by chaggle »

I have been targeted with ads on FB by this lot...

https://www.well-tiss.com/?fbclid=IwAR1 ... LQC1qMdh3M

On FB I asked this...
I assume this device been clinically trialled? I would like to read the details. Thanks
Welltiss Hello Simon Haigh, thanks for asking. Welltiss is a non-invasive wellness device and therefore it does not need to be clinically trialled. It helps speed up your body's natural healing process and it helps to relieve pain. It does not cure illnesses, so it should be consider as a supplement to other treatments if there is a more serious illness involved. It can certainly only help with the symptoms.
PEMF therapy has been in regular use for decades. It is FDA approved, safe, non-invasive and is a standard therapy type for doctors since the 1970s. What's new with Welltiss is that the therapy type has been adapted for use on your own and targeting specific areas that need healing or regenerating to recover after exercise or injury. You're welcome to read more about the therapy type by visiting the Mayo Clinic website and searching for PEMF or Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy.

Thanks for your interest and have a great day
Looks like bollocks to me - possibly the same that Noel Edmunds was pushing.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: PEMF

Post by bindeweede »

I genuinely felt much better while using the EMPpad Omnium1, although part of me still thinks this is just because I got to go lie on the floor twice a day for six weeks. That said, the thing is prohibitively expensive, and it does mean ideologically aligning yourself with Noel Edmonds.
:ey

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... th-it-pemf
Matt

Post by Matt »

There appears to be a claim on the website
PEMF therapy has been widely used for decades and is the subject of FDA-approved therapies. It has been tested and recognized as effective in scores of peer-reviewed medical journals.
https://www.well-tiss.com/how-it-works

"Scores" plural does that mean at least 40 peer reviewed journals found it to be effective.

I've found a dissenting opinion
Empirical evidence supporting the effectiveness of pulsed (electro)magnetic field (PEMF) therapy on chronic and acute pain is equivocal. In the current randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled experiment, impact of a commercially available whole-body PEMF mat on acute ischemic muscle pain induced in the forearm was studied with the participation of 70 healthy volunteers. The device emitted a pulsed magnetic field with a repetition frequency of 2.05Hz and a maximum flux density of 25.3μT (rms). The highest dB/dt was 48mT/s. No differences between the groups receiving actual and sham PEMF were found in terms of pain threshold, pain tolerance, heart rate, and perceived decrease of pain. However, participants' expectation concerning the effectiveness of the intervention improved pain tolerance and affected perceived change of pain. In conclusion, the used PEMF device had no specific effect on acute ischemic muscle pain, while the contribution of the placebo effect was considerable.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29127072

Moreover if they're targeting European citizens in their facebook marketing then they really should obey the GDPR and display one of those annoying "we use tracking cookies" notifications since they certainly did drop a google analytics ID onto my PC just now.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I think I will ask a few more questions. They are probably right that they don't need 'clinical trials' but, at least in the UK, they should have 'robust evidence' of any claims they make.

These things are eminently suited to blinded trials - makes you wonder why they don't do them huh?

:roll:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

...and of course even if the principle of PEMF works as demonstrated by some trials - it doesn't mean that their device does anything for the conditions they quote.