New site launched

chaggle

Re: New site launched

Post by chaggle »

Tinkerbell wrote:When I do go there and click on 'What's new' quite often there's nothing so I don't search further. I think it would be better set up like this forum, where all the latest stuff is there at a glance....well written and informative articles on there though.
It was suggested as an item for change.

http://www.skepticism-uk.org/showthread ... uggestions

I'm sure I have missed posts and I too can't be bothered to go looking.

It's a shame it hasn't taken off but I fear it won't now.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

I was going to comment on the fact that more people are posting here about SUK than on SUK. I'm not sure what it tells us however as I've tried posting a reply to CZ on that thread and I can't, it just locks up my computer. So, either people don't care over there or they do care but they can't post.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
smudge

Post by smudge »

How about 'co-operation breaks out' and they link here as 'companion' forum or some such? We could do similar. Might give both them and us a boost.
No idea what's gone on behind the scenes but I think we'd all like to see the project succeed.
It seems, for whatever reason(s), many feel more comfortable posting here, for now at least. It's not a competition is it?
DrS

Post by DrS »

There is an anti-academic ethos that simultaneously got rid of Dr B and myself, not sure about Wendy but I believe she too was unimpressed at the least. I am of the slightest value only, but Dr B was a huge asset, and he was dismissed in the rudest terms. I shan't be going back under any circumstances, I'm afraid. It is a poor skeptical exercise when prejudices are so evident, and not the sort of environment I would wish to occupy.
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

DrS wrote:There is an anti-academic ethos that simultaneously got rid of Dr B and myself, not sure about Wendy but I believe she too was unimpressed at the least. I am of the slightest value only, but Dr B was a huge asset, and he was dismissed in the rudest terms. I shan't be going back under any circumstances, I'm afraid. It is a poor skeptical exercise when prejudices are so evident, and not the sort of environment I would wish to occupy.
It is a great shame to read posts like this. I personally have no problem with any of the original founders of SUK and it is disappointing that things have gone wrong in secret behind the scenes. I think that smudge speaks for the silent majority when he says that he wants co-operation; the bulk of us just want a big friendly community without the pathetic behaviour that we had all experienced by the end of UKS.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
Dubious Dick

Post by Dubious Dick »

Seems there is a fundamental division amongst various types of skeptics. A simple classification might be:

1. Academics

2. Ex-woos (No offence intended!)

3. The angry mob (amongst whom I probably should be counted).

4. Generalists, by which I mean those who find the irrational around them frustrating, and who are motivated to promote critical thinking.

Within each group there are what I would term 'purists' ranging through to those who are more accepting of other types.

It seems difficult for the various sub-groups to come together and co-operate. Add to that the sheer frustration of trying to tackle the sheer amount of nonsense around us.

With the differences in personalities, and natural inclination of skeptics not to be herded, it seems as if there are some real difficulties in getting cohesion.

Personally I am all for a diverse group (which UKS seemed to manage to be for a while) and am happy to be told off by better skeptics for being impulsive at times. Though I do appreciate a place where I can let off steam sometimes.

It would certainly be great if everyone could come together under one banner. As one who is motivated to bursts of activism, a larger community would, I think, be highly beneficial.

I had hoped that SUK would be a bigger better replacement for UKS, but sadly it does seem to have managed to alienate some for reasons which are not entirely clear.

I suspect that skepticism will remain fragmented. Even in the U.S. where they have JREF as a focal point, there is a similar fragmentation.
JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis »

I am not at all surprised the site is such a failure.
Their attitude, they alienate visitors, it is not welcoming.

Full of the very people that are destroying skepticism today.

I offered them my help when they started off, and it was thrown in my face and I was attacked and abused.

You cant run a website and forum as a committee, it does not work.
And you would think when someone who is experienced with running websites and forums offers help you would jump at the chance.

Well I for one am not surprised at their abysmal failure, I could see it coming a mile off.
They tried to recreate UKS without the heart, passion and knowledge of John Jackson.

I think this forum is a much better place, and with the right promotion, branding and running could be a huge success, but alas I know that the boss here likes the quiet life!

The only way you will ever get one great skepticism banner for everyone to come under, is if you take people who have been successful from different subgenres of skepticism, bring them together to make some kind of super site.

But alas that will never happen as too many egos.
JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis »

DrS wrote:It is a poor skeptical exercise when prejudices are so evident, and not the sort of environment I would wish to occupy.
Spot on comment!
Ketchup

Post by Ketchup »

smudge wrote:How about 'co-operation breaks out' and they link here as 'companion' forum or some such? We could do similar. Might give both them and us a boost.
No idea what's gone on behind the scenes but I think we'd all like to see the project succeed.
It seems, for whatever reason(s), many feel more comfortable posting here, for now at least. It's not a competition is it?
I so agree - and I'm sure there are many frustrated folk reading this thinking the same.

Life is too short and precious for such unnecessary dissent. It's not too late for such a concept to become viable.
Ditch the egos. That's really all that's needed.
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

The Skepticism-UK site is now closed.
JonDonnis

Post by JonDonnis »

bindeweede wrote:The Skepticism-UK site is now closed.
Well you didn't need to be a psychic to see that coming!

I literally cannot count the amount of sites like that that have come along, promising the world, claiming they knew better, and now are just remnants of history. I look out into the skeptical world, and what do I see? I see Jon Donnis (me) still standing tall, I see John Jackson relaunching his site under a new name.

The point is that you should always listen and learn from those who came before you, because if you dont, if you just assume you know better, you always fail, you always make a fool of yourself, and you end up wasting huge potential just because your ego is so fat you just hate the idea of listening to someone who did it before you!
smudge

Post by smudge »

JonDonnis wrote:
bindeweede wrote:The Skepticism-UK site is now closed.
Well you didn't need to be a psychic to see that coming!

Nor to foresee your unpleasant, unnecessary gloating.

I don't think anyone else views the history of the Skepticism UK site as you do. I certainly don't.

It's done. Lets move on.