"The ultimate in water woo."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"The ultimate in water woo."

Post by bindeweede »

A lengthy article from Dr David Gorski on "Raw Water", with references to other silliness. Worth a read, imo.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/raw-wa ... ealth-fad/
Tony.Williams

Re: "The ultimate in water woo."

Post by Tony.Williams »

Frankly I stopped reading fairly quickly - bad for my blood pressure, among other things. :sic
You don't really need to read further than the introductory paragraph:
In pseudoscience, appeals to nature are everywhere. It’s not surprising, then, that there is profit to be made selling “raw” (i.e., untreated) water at very high prices for its nonexistent health benefits, those benefits all claimed to be due to the “naturalness” of the water. I can’t help but note that cholera, Giardia, amoebic dysentery, and a wide variety of waterborne illnesses prevented by modern water treatment techniques are all very, very “natural.”
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

I've had amoebic dysentery, I don't recommend it.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I recall a memorable comment I once read about cholera:

"It isn't so much the bottom falling out of your world, as the world falling out of your bottom."
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

:beer I think I might be drinking raw water ...the tap water here in our part of Spain is horrible and down the road is a spring source of water that tastes wonderful. So this is what we go and get and fill all our bottles with. Been doing this for at least 10 years with no bad effects. I hate having to pay for bottled water...
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tinkerbell wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:07 pm :beer I think I might be drinking raw water ...the tap water here in our part of Spain is horrible and down the road is a spring source of water that tastes wonderful. So this is what we go and get and fill all our bottles with. Been doing this for at least 10 years with no bad effects. I hate having to pay for bottled water...
I expect your local authority has tested the local spring water for safety. Glad it tastes good but what about nitrates, other fertilizers, cow dung and whatever that might have got into it? A chemical analysis would make it clear. When I'm on holiday in the Algarve - not so far from you - the minimarkets are full of 5 litre bottles of water which the locals buy as well as visitors. (I have no idea if there is a reliable spring nearby.) With a full chemical analysis meeting EU standards, less than £1 for 5 litres is fine by me, assuming the plastic bottle is disposed of in an environmentally friendly way, of course. :thumb:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Tinkerbell wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:07 pm :beer I think I might be drinking raw water ...the tap water here in our part of Spain is horrible and down the road is a spring source of water that tastes wonderful. So this is what we go and get and fill all our bottles with. Been doing this for at least 10 years with no bad effects. I hate having to pay for bottled water...
Buxton water is widely available in bottles, but you can get it for free - there's a public tap in Buxton. Unlike the stuff you buy, this is straight from the spring:

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

Well done, Buxton! I hope people make good use of it.
I expect your local authority has tested the local spring water for safety. Glad it tastes good but what about nitrates, other fertilizers, cow dung and whatever that might have got into it? A chemical analysis would make it clear. When I'm on holiday in the Algarve - not so far from you - the minimarkets are full of 5 litre bottles of water which the locals buy as well as visitors. (I have no idea if there is a reliable spring nearby.) With a full chemical analysis meeting EU standards, less than £1 for 5 litres is fine by me, assuming the plastic bottle is disposed of in an environmentally friendly way, of course. :thumb:
Yes, cow dung, whatever, bring it on...:-) I just love feeling terribly, well, bohemian. ;)
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Tony.Williams wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 am Buxton water is widely available in bottles, but you can get it for free - there's a public tap in Buxton. Unlike the stuff you buy, this is straight from the spring:
I have drunked from that pump. It is tested regularly (I was told). There has been local controversy recently (the "Buxton Water Scandal") as it sometimes stops working which is suspected to be Nestlé's fault (the bottled stuff is Nestle).

I was amused to note that the big nearby spa hotel only had Scottish bottled water.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an