Dog ID chip found in food

chaggle

Dog ID chip found in food

Post by chaggle »

This was told to me by a friend in the pub.

Someone In a nearby Indian restaurant found a dog ID chip in their dinner at an Indian restaurant.

He (a retired vet aged 70) pocketed it, took it to the lab and ID'd a dog which had been reported missing at some point.

I expressed doubt - said it sounded like an urban legend.

The chap who told me backed this up the next day by saying that he had spoken to a very respected butcher who assured him that Indian restaurants never bought quality meat. Also, the person involved was the stepfather of a friend (who I know. I have not seen him since but will obviously ask him about it when I do).

I await developments - like the restaurant being shut down.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Re: Dog ID chip found in food

Post by Matt »

It sound so similar to an urban legend with just the identity of the restaurant changed

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dog+i ... nd+in+food

It has the elements of an urban legend, in that you can see many reasons for the story to be retold that have nothing to do with the truth.

A most positive reason for doubt is that the location of an id chip is the neck. I just can't see that the flesh there is much worth butchering or sufficient to conceal the chip if an amateur butcher were trying to get every last scrap off the bone.
RationalVetMed

Post by RationalVetMed »

chaggle wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:36 pm Someone In a nearby Indian restaurant found a dog ID chip in their dinner at an Indian restaurant.

He (a retired vet aged 70) pocketed it, took it to the lab and ID'd a dog which had been reported missing at some point.
Pretty tough chip, to be able to survive, fully functioning after being cooked in a curry!
chaggle wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:36 pmThe chap who told me backed this up the next day by saying that he had spoken to a very respected butcher who assured him that Indian restaurants never bought quality meat.
Not quite the same as buying or using dog meat though, surely.
chaggle wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:36 pmthe person involved was the stepfather of a friend (who I know. I have not seen him since but will obviously ask him about it when I do).

I await developments - like the restaurant being shut down.
Was the restaurant reported to trading standards?

Niall
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I had forgotten about this one - will investigate further...
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con