"It is time to abandon cranberry."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"It is time to abandon cranberry."

Post by bindeweede »

If there was a folk remedies course offered back in the 1990s, it probably would have mentioned the use of cranberries and cranberry juice to prevent or treat urinary tract infections. While there’s been interest in cranberries (juice or capsules) to treat or prevent urinary tract infection for decades, the science has been suggestively promising, but convincing evidence has been lacking. Now there’s a new, well-conducted trial which should put any questions about cranberry and urinary tract infections to rest. We have convincing evidence that cranberry (as capsules) is ineffective.
Scott Gavura on "Another alternative medicine zombie that’s impervious to evidence.

How much evidence will it take before the idea of cranberries for urinary tract infections is finally dead and buried?"

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/cranbe ... -evidence/
Croydon13013

Re: "It is time to abandon cranberry."

Post by Croydon13013 »

I don't recall having heard this one before, but it doesn't seem likely anyway. Ingesting fruit juice as a cure for a problem down there? Perhaps the woosters should try direct application?
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I'd heard of it - it's commonly touted as a treatment for cystitis. Doesn't surprise me at all that it's bunk.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

My mother is now on heart tablets and has told me that she is not allowed to have cranberries or cranberry juice...so it must do something to the body! Not sure if this is relevant though :D
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tinkerbell wrote:My mother is now on heart tablets and has told me that she is not allowed to have cranberries or cranberry juice...so it must do something to the body! Not sure if this is relevant though :D
Apparently it interacts with Warfarin.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... ientid=958
Warfarin (Coumadin) interacts with CRANBERRY
Warfarin (Coumadin) is used to slow blood clotting. Cranberry might increase how long warfarin (Coumadin) is in the body, and increase the chances of bruising and bleeding. Be sure to have your blood checked regularly. The dose of your warfarin (Coumadin) might need to be changed.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con