YouGov poll on religious belief

Tony Williams

YouGov poll on religious belief

Post by Tony Williams »

As reported in The Independent (according to The Week):
46% of British people identify themselves as Christians, 8% as a member of another religion, while 46% are irreligious.

Just 41% of Christians say they definitely believe in a Creator; 27% believe in Hell.

30% of all Britons believe in the existence of alien life.
So just 26% of the population consists of Christians who definitely believe in a Creator. I wonder what the percentage is among vicars? :twisted:
Abdul Alhazred

Re: YouGov poll on religious belief

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Tony Williams wrote:So just 26% of the population consists of Christians who definitely believe in a Creator. I wonder what the percentage is among vicars? :twisted:
It has often occurred to me that clergy must have a higher proportion of atheists than scientists, stereotypes and prominent spokespeople notwithstanding.
Yes, that one.
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

I doubt if that's true - scientists (especially in the physical sciences) reportedly form one of the most atheistic groups.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 21899.html
...according to a poll of Anglican clergy which found that as many as 16 per cent are unclear about God and two per cent think it is no more than a human construct.
Clergy were significantly more likely to hold unorthodox beliefs the older they were and the longer they had been in the ministry. Nearly 90 per cent of those ordained since 2011 believe in God compared with only 72 per cent of those who became priests in the 1960s, the research discovered.
...there is an organisation called Sea of Faith that rejects the Church’s traditional belief in one personal God and which claims to represent dozens of vicars.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con