What book are you reading at the moment?

chaggle

Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by chaggle »

Tony Williams wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:'Scales' by Anthony G Williams. Dowloaded for free onto my computer at work. People think I am working.....Well into it already :D
:oops:
Our Tony's not going to get rich like that is he? :ro
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

To change the subject....I'm in the middle of reading Jared Diamond's book Collapse, concerning why some societies fail. It's as intriguing as Guns Germs and Steel, which looked at the opposite side - which factors led to some civilisations becoming successful.

On the fictional side, I've just finished reading the second of Martin Walker's Bruno novels, concerning a French Chief of Police in a little town in Perigord. These are pleasant, feel-good mysteries, featuring a likeable character who doesn't have drink or relationship problems and who gets on well with his boss (how strange!). I'm particularly enjoying them because last summer we stayed in a little town in Perigord which bears a remarkable resemblance to Walker's descriptions of his fictional town of St Denis - so much so that it must surely have been closely based on it.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

chaggle wrote:
Tony Williams wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:'Scales' by Anthony G Williams. Dowloaded for free onto my computer at work. People think I am working.....Well into it already :D
:oops:
Our Tony's not going to get rich like that is he? :ro
A cracking good read - I thoroughly enjoyed it and I recommend it to you all :) - just don't download it for free....
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Tinkerbell wrote:A cracking good read - I thoroughly enjoyed it and I recommend it to you all :) - just don't download it for free....
Thanks for that, Tink, I'm relieved that you enjoyed it! :D

Actually a free download is the only way you can get it at the moment, but I'm hoping to offer a slightly revised version for sale on amazon Kindle before too long.
smudge

Post by smudge »

Recently finished The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond (thought provoking as ever) and The Iliad on audio (most enjoyable).

Tom Hollands Millenium was a fascinating history of the Dark Ages- hell, those crazy folks really did take all that Biblical stuff to heart...

Currently I'm on the highly entertaining Song of Ice and Fire A Storm of Swords 2, Blood and Gold, by George RR Martin, and A History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell.
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Currently reading Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three. Rather strange, so far.
karamazov2

Post by karamazov2 »

I've just finished "The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B" by Donleavy, which I would highly recommend, and am about to start reading "The Ginger Man" by the same author.
The Ginger Man:
" Feckless, unwashed, charming, penurious Sebastian Balfe Dangerfield, Trinity College Law student, Irish American with an English Accent, maroon in the ould country and dreaming of dollars and ready women, stumbles from the public house to the pawnbrokers, murmuring delusive enticements in the ear of any girl who'll listen, in delirious search of freedom, wealth, and the recognition he feels is his due. Lyrical and ribald, illuminating, poignant and hugely entertaining, The Ginger Man is a work of authentic comic genius."
Looks like fun!
smudge

Post by smudge »

Whats everyone reading?
I'm just about to start Cicero; a Turbulent Life by Anthony Everitt. Reading The Gay Science by Nietzsche on Kindle.
Hal Fosters Prince Valiant and Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus on the comic book front.
Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

Neal Stephenson's Reamde. The man's breadth and depth of knowledge never fails to astound me, (and he has a wonderful sense of humour.)
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

For light entertainment, I'm currently working my way through Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series, concerning genuine magicians in present day London. Great fun. Comparable with Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. There seems to be a lot more going on in the Great Wen than meets the eye :shock:
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

Nada by Carmen Laforet. It's a book club choice, and I admit I didn't like it to start with, miserable characters living in Barcelona during Franco's reign but it has grown on me and I'm quite into it now. I feel perhaps it hasn't really been translated that well.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A few weeks ago I bought "A Tiny Bit Marvellous" by Dawn French, hoping it would raise a smile or two over the holiday period. I have almost finished it and it is very funny - I haven't found myself laughing out loud so frequently for a long time. It is basically the diary entries of a Mum and her two (obnoxious) teenage children. Dad plays a minor part but there is a pretty liberated Nan on the scene too.

I'll be following that up with "The Wisdom of Psychopaths" by Kevin Dutton. He had something to do with the documentary on Channel 4 a few weeks ago. I'm expecting it to be very interesting though with fewer laughs. :roll:
Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

Franz Kafka's The Trial.

An oldie but a goodie.
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

It is basically the diary entries of a Mum and her two (obnoxious) teenage children.
Just stay at mine for a month - that'll give you a laugh a minute. :-?
panama

Post by panama »

Reading this at the moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-Londo ... 440&sr=1-3

Free download for Kindle.

Interesting in so many ways.