In Dog Years?

panama

In Dog Years?

Post by panama »

An interesting report which may amuse those of you with dogs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22458083
A few days later, I was reminded of the oft-quoted statistic that every human year equates to seven dog years. This mental calculation looms more largely in an owner's mind as a dog gets older, and thoughts turn to how long the pet has left.

But if that stat were really true then Meg would have been 135 years old when she died, which seems very unlikely.

No human is known to have lived beyond 122.

So if the seven dog years to one human year is wrong how do we work out an accurate calculation?
"If you think about statistical correlation between average life span and body size in mammals it generally tends to be positive - gorillas, elephants and whales are much longer lived than shrews, voles and mice," says Daniel Promislow, professor of genetics at the University of Georgia.

That would lead you to believe that Great Danes would live longer than Chihuahuas but it's the other way round.
chaggle

Re: In Dog Years?

Post by chaggle »

panama wrote:An interesting report which may amuse those of you with dogs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22458083
A few days later, I was reminded of the oft-quoted statistic that every human year equates to seven dog years. This mental calculation looms more largely in an owner's mind as a dog gets older, and thoughts turn to how long the pet has left.

But if that stat were really true then Meg would have been 135 years old when she died, which seems very unlikely.

No human is known to have lived beyond 122.

So if the seven dog years to one human year is wrong how do we work out an accurate calculation?
"If you think about statistical correlation between average life span and body size in mammals it generally tends to be positive - gorillas, elephants and whales are much longer lived than shrews, voles and mice," says Daniel Promislow, professor of genetics at the University of Georgia.

That would lead you to believe that Great Danes would live longer than Chihuahuas but it's the other way round.
Spooky - I was pondering this just an hour ago. :-?

Our last dog (small terrier cross) we reckoned was 20 when she died which would have made her 140. OK she was old but not that old. I suppose if you say humans live to 70ish and big dogs live to 10ish then the rule of thumb is about right but that only works for big dogs. No rule of thumb would work for all dogs. Or I suppose it might if you factored weight into the calculation.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
panama

Post by panama »

chaggle wrote: Spooky - I was pondering this just an hour ago. :-?
That'll be my psychic powers reaching out to you....wooooooooooooooooooooowooooooooooooooooooo!
Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

20 years seems to be the upper limit for dogs and cats. I'm not sure body size has too much to do with it; parrots, even the smaller species, can live for over 70 years. Amazon Macaws have been known to reach 104.
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Quite an interesting article. This is the formula which they came up with:
Calculate your dog's true age

For first two years:

12.5 years per human year for the first two years for small dogs
10.5 years per human year for the first two years for medium sized dogs
9 years per human year for the first two years for large dogs
For years 3+:

Small: Dachshund (Miniature) 4.32, Border Terrier 4.47, Lhasa Apso 4.49, Shih Tzu 4.78, Whippet Medium 5.30, Chihuahua 4.87, West Highland White Terrier 4.96, Beagle 5.20, Miniature Schnauzer 5.46, Spaniel (Cocker) 5.55, Cavalier King Charles 5.77, Pug 5.95, French Bulldog 7.65

Medium: Spaniel 5.46, Retriever (Labrador) 5.74, Golden Retriever 5.74, Staffordshire Bull Terrier 5.33, Bulldog 13.42

Large: German Shepherd 7.84, Boxer 8.90
The bulldog seems out of step, dying relatively young for its size. Maybe the extreme genetic distortions which make it one of the ugliest four-leggers around have something to do with that.

They don't include really big dogs, but I recall from long ago hearing that the biggest ones only live to about 8 years.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

What about cats...? I think my 2 moggies might be older than me now :wry
Anyway, gives me an excuse to post a picture of my handsome boy on here