Electoral reform?

Tony.Williams

Electoral reform?

Post by Tony.Williams »

I suspect that we might hear rather more about this over the next few years (I hope so, anyway).

Here's an interesting take on it: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit ... st-7327090
chaggle

Re: Electoral reform?

Post by chaggle »

Yup - I'm feeling increasingly disenfranchised. Neither of the two major parties are a fit for me. Probably the Lib Dems are the nearest but what's the point of voting for them?

I suppose Labour might become so - have to wait to see what Starmer can do.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:37 pm Yup - I'm feeling increasingly disenfranchised. Neither of the two major parties are a fit for me. Probably the Lib Dems are the nearest but what's the point of voting for them?
That's exactly my position.
Yes - judgement very reserved!
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

A review in The New European of Gavin Esler's new book: How Britain Ends. https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexi ... ds-7318078
That the UK as we know it is finished, Esler is in no doubt. The question for us all now – and above all, for the English – is not whether nationalism will triumph, but what kinds of nationalisms will win out. As we enter uncharted waters, this splendid book is going to be an invaluable guide
Matt

Post by Matt »

chaggle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:37 pm Yup - I'm feeling increasingly disenfranchised. Neither of the two major parties are a fit for me. Probably the Lib Dems are the nearest but what's the point of voting for them?

I do try to work on the principal that a vote for third place party may be unlikely to win but could make them appear more electable next time. In the past I've taken those policy surveys that ask you what areas you're interested in and then what policies in those area you most agree with before telling you who you're most aligned with. Last time it turned out was SNP. Needless to say Scottish Independence was not on my list of priorities. However I feel that the AV referendum was another "once in a generation" event. I'm unlikely to see another chance for a very long time and even then if the media barons including the Murdoch's new GBeebies channel aren't onside we'll be relying on the populace spontaneously learning media awareness and how to think critically.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

It does seem odd that the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments/assemblies all use voting systems other than "first past the post", which is effectively an admission that FPTP is not the best system out there. Yet, there is little interest in adopting a new model for the UK.

I suppose the main problem is that those politicians who might lose from any change are in Parliament and voting, while those who might benefit are, by definition, not.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Through most of my voting life I have been happy enough with FPTP as it generally produces a government that can govern.

It did produce a wild swing from the dreadful Labour days of the 70s to - you know who - but generally during my lifetime it's produced acceptable enough governments.

My view has changed recently, not quite sure why - probably something to do with the polarisation due to Brexshit.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con