Covid Vaccine issues

Tony.Williams

Re: Covid Vaccine issues

Post by Tony.Williams »

I think that if any identifiable group holds a strongly negative view, it's worth finding out why, and what (if anything) should be done about it.

If that doesn't work, you can revert to Plan A.... :-P
Matt

Post by Matt »

It's never been likely that vaccines wouldn't confer herd immunity. Only unproven.

With the latest research I've seen from Israel we're starting to see strong indication that the vaccine does reduce transmission as well as infection.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/962001/i ... ansmission

This means that unfortunately the ignorant twots will likely take others down with them. I didn't know that the there was a higher proportion of vaccine denial among the BAME community but if that's the case then I'd wonder if those tasked with combating misinformation are suitably diverse.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Matt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:16 pm It's never been likely that vaccines wouldn't confer herd immunity. Only unproven.

With the latest research I've seen from Israel we're starting to see strong indication that the vaccine does reduce transmission as well as infection.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/962001/i ... ansmission

This means that unfortunately the ignorant twots will likely take others down with them. I didn't know that the there was a higher proportion of vaccine denial among the BAME community but if that's the case then I'd wonder if those tasked with combating misinformation are suitably diverse.
I agree. There has been much chat in the media about this aspect of the vaccines and indeed it was addressed yesterday on The Covid Show by Jonathan Van-Tam who basically said that it was highly unlikely that they would confer no reduction in transmission.

WRT the BAME attitude to vaccines, this has also been well covered - I have seen figures as high as 72% of some BAME communities would not be vaccinated.

A PR campaign using prominent BAME personalities has been initiated to get the message across..
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sounds like a good idea. As a old(ish) scientific leaning white guy, I follow a bunch of old(ish) scientific leaning white guys on twitter. Brian Cox highlighted a Royal Society event on You Tube which I just watched. I have absolutely no problem feeling represented on this panel.
RoyalSocietyEvent.png
RoyalSocietyEvent.png (214.88 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
However it told me that over 60% of vaccine information elsewhere on you tube is negative. I wonder if my social media was less old white and nerdy and more young trendy you tubers, if my attitudes towards vaccines would be quite as favourable.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Yesterday lunchtime I received my first vaccine, of the AstraZeneca flavour.

I didn't pay much attention to the warnings of side effects, partly because there was nothing I could do about them, partly because I have never felt any side effects from any injections. As usual, I felt fine afterwards, all afternoon and evening. Not a twinge.

Then I had to get up in the middle of the night, and got nuked. It was as if I was totally drunk, in a way I haven't been since I was a senseless student. I was staggering about, hanging onto furniture, and it took me several attempts to return a bottle of milk to the fridge: first I found myself opening the room door next to it instead of the fridge door, then I tried to push the bottle into the fridge without opening the door, and so on. I finally managed to get back to bed, immediately fell asleep and apart from feeling a touch fragile, I was OK when I woke up this morning.

I have to say I found this rather disconcerting. Anyone know of any other reports like this?
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

To add: when I returned to the bedroom, my BH took one look and ordered me to lie down immediately, as I was so white-faced she thought I was going to pass out. On reflection, my symptoms might well have occurred because I was one the point of passing out. Doesn't answer the question of why I was passing out, though - not something I'm prone to!
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

No - haven't heard of anything like that.

Nothing like that on the NHS site either

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... strazeneca

You should report it via the link on the above site.

Also maybe think about speaking to your doctor as it might not be a side effect - could be something unconnected.

Anyway - glad you've had it. My OH should get it in the next few weeks - bit of a wait for me.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

chaggle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 pm My OH should get it in the next few weeks - bit of a wait for me.
Got my letter from NHS this morning, inviting me to a vaccine appointment, but the three nearest centres were 14-20 mile round trips - not a big issue, but I thought we were supposed to stay at home. Letter added I can wait until GP services contact me, which I think I will, as only a 2-3 mile return trip. Another week or two not likely to be a problem, hopefully.

Tony - hope you've recovered from the incident, and no repetition. :thumb
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I think vaccination justifies a longer journey.

As soon as the timeslot arrives for OH's age-group, she will ring for an appointment asap (you can do that around here) and she will ask if I can be included - I'm only a month or so out of that age bracket anyway.

We're hoping for Ashton Gate stadium which we're missing badly - (Rugby). It's 15 miles away.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I should have said that the vaccination itself was well organised: we received NHS letters inviting us to attend, with a choice of mass vaccination sites. We chose one which wasn't the nearest, but we knew how to get there and there was loads of parking. We booked a slot for the next day - so the whole process took just 24 hours. Everything is now AOK, and the period of discomfort was certainly worth it for our peace of mind!
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 pm
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... strazeneca

You should report it via the link on the above site.
Have done so, thanks.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Text invitation arrived today from GP offering local appointments Monday Feb 8th. So I'm booked in 2.10pm. Don't know which one, but surgery site says Pfizer always used first because of more demanding storage conditions.

I never had major reactions to flu jabs, so interesting to see if any with this one, whichever they actually give.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

AstraZeneca vaccine applied this afternoon. Can barely identify the point of application, atm, but read the leaftet given, so prepared for a delayed reaction. These days, I'm quite experienced with relaxation exercises.

:ang
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I expect you'll be fine Binders.

OH is getting vaxxed on Thursday. :yay
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

I wouldn't normally link to The Mail but this is an interesting account of what goes on in a vaxxing centre.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... -line.html