Weird weather

bindeweede
Site Admin

Re: Weird weather

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 am
bindeweede wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:09 am Totally OT I suppose, but I'm off on hols to Switzerland on Wednesday. Weather forecast is distinctly chilly for most of the week, but escaping the horrendous shambles in the UK will be so refreshing.
Are you planning to ask for asylum?
I doubt I could afford it with £1 = CHF1.14 when I came away.

Yesterday's example of amusing Swiss prices. Visited a lakeside restaurant - always going to be pricy. Special of the Day - Fish and Chips. CHF 35 = £30.70. I just smile and walk on.
Have to say that is not typical. Best value places are self-service places in larger supermarkets and station buffets. Good quality and generous portions at much more reasonable prices. And as I'm on HB in a hotel with excellent food - good buffet breakfast and 4-course evening meal, i don't want much at lunchtime. Sarnie and banana sort of thing.
JTA. Weather cold and damp for last 4 ddays.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

See original post - same again last night, only more so. From around 12.30 to 1.30 or so, a continuous barrage of flashes only a couple of seconds apart. The best estimate I can make is that there were well over 1,000 flashes (after which I fell asleep). Once again, no accompanying thunder was audible until about half-way-through the light show, and even then it was just a distant muttering with the exception of three or four loud bangs, one of which briefly shut down the electricity supply. Only a brief, heavy shower at the storm's peak.

I presume that this kind of lightning storm will become the "new normal", to coin a phrase :roll:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Couple of random observations re. weather;

I'm sure I can remember many more thunderstorms happening when I was a kid - say 50-55 years ago. That might be a false memory.

It's astonishing how you acclimatise. In Spain I was able to do heavy duty roofing (roofs there are made of concrete - all moved by hand up ladders) in 40 plus temperatures. Now - I start to struggle in the high 20s and when we went back to Spain after a couple of years and encountered mid 30s it was a real trial.

The forecasts now are seriously accurate. If you use one of the rain radar sites (there are many) you can judge to the nearest few minutes when it's going to rain and ventusky is a great forecasting site.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Thinking more about temperatures, at the moment. My livingroom, currently at 28.2C, is about 5 degrees warmer than the Algarve.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Identical here in Somerset at 31C, to Jimena in Spain where we were.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

We had same as the OP last night.

It appeared to be just about overhead, and continuous for about 1/2 hour.

No rain and very distant sounding constant rumble (although as I said - the action appeared to be right overhead).

The only difference was that many, maybe 1/3, of the flashes were visible forks - the rest being sheets. I guess the OP flashes were above a layer of lower cloud.

I don't recall that kind of storm before.