General Election matters

chaggle

General Election matters

Post by chaggle »

Boris is in the Westcountry today...

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk ... GbOxLmke_w
Mr Johnson pulled out of the visit to Burns the Bread in Glastonbury following his trip to West Monkton Primary School, neat Taunton, earlier in the morning.

He changed his plans after learning of a group of protestors, including climate change activists, anti-Brexit campaigners and a Labour supporter at the entrance to the business.
...a Labour supporter... :shock: :ey
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Re: General Election matters

Post by Tony.Williams »

Not the natural home of Labour supporters, the SW. Traditionally, they seem to like LibDems or woo. :roll:
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Perhaps at one time. Conservative virtual whitewash in 2017. Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset combined returned 36 Cons out of 38 seats. (Exeter and Plymouth Sutton won by Labour in 2017.)
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Apparently Mr Johnson went to a different bakery in Wells where he said that there had been a number of 'crusties' waiting for him outside 'Burns the Bread'.

Not sure how this epithet will have gone down with the denizens of Glasto - many of whom are - er...well... crusties TBH. :???:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

The LibDems seem to be getting themselves in a tangle over tactical voting (or not). Here in the High Peak, their official candidate effectively withdrew in protest at how the Canterbury seat has been mishandled.

At the moment, the Tories seem to be doing well. Johnson is making as many mistakes as the other leaders, but everyone expects him to do that so his incompetence has been "priced in", as the saying goes. It seems to be a question of "which party do you dislike the least" that will decide the outcome.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

This week's blog by Chris Grey is particularly hard-hitting. Anyone interested in Brexit should read this: https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co ... aders.html .
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Everyone see that 4-stage Question Time interview last night? All four party leaders who participated were asked some tough questions, with Jo Swinson getting a real battering - 30 minutes of intense and very hostile questioning. She stood up to it remarkably well, I thought, but I suspect she collared the whisky bottle as soon as she got out.

Depressingly, I have the impression that a hung parliament is becoming less likely as opinion seems to be polarising. At this rate, Johnson will win.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Depressingly, I have the impression that a hung parliament is becoming less likely as opinion seems to be polarising. At this rate, Johnson will win.
This graph suggests a large increase in Conservative popularity since Johnson became PM. It leaves me mystified.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... ll-tracker
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

REASONS TO BE (CAUTIOUSLY) CHEERFUL
Otto English raises a glass half full – to a future of hope after the years of chaos which may follow next month’s General Election.
"As the weight of the task crushes Johnson and his acolytes to a slow political death, as crisis follows crisis, as the country wakes up to the reality that Brexit isn’t done and dusted and that there will be years more to come – something new will rise and something better might come of it.

So trust me on this – the sun will come out tomorrow. (I hope)."

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/11/29/reas ... -cheerful/
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

See: https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co ... -mean.html
Whilst the outcome of the election remains unpredictable, there is a clear dividing line between the scenario in which there is a Tory majority and all other scenarios. If there is a Tory majority then, in the words of their endlessly repeated slogan, Britain will “get Brexit done”. More expansively, this week Boris Johnson invited us to “imagine the relief the whole nation will feel if we get Brexit done. Uncertainty ended, investment unlocked, a nation moving forward once again”.

It’s worth taking up that invitation by, indeed, imagining how the nation might feel if Brexit gets done. As a prelude to doing so, it should be clarified that by ‘getting Brexit done’ Johnson means passing the Withdrawal Agreement through parliament, perhaps as early as Christmas, and leaving the EU on 31 January 2020. Britain would then enter a transition period lasting, in the absence of its being extended, until the end of 2020.

This would mark a very important moment, which remain-inclined voters should take full note of. It will be the point at which reversing Brexit becomes impossible. That perhaps goes without saying, but I mention it because I have seen it suggested, usually by remainers, that revocation would still be an option during the transition period. Unequivocally, it won’t. Thus those for whom remaining in the EU is their main priority it’s important to understand that this will not happen if the Tories win a majority in the election, and that this is literally the only and last chance they have to prevent Brexit which they can only do by voting in a way that prevents a Tory victory.

For leave voters, they would have got what they wanted. Yet the hard core of them have already been told by Nigel Farage that what Johnson has agreed to isn’t really Brexit. Moreover, throughout the Referendum campaign, for many months afterwards, and even sometimes now, they were given the impression that the negotiations about leaving and about future terms were one and the same thing, and that both would be concluded on the same ‘Brexit day’. Unequivocally, that is not (and was never going to be) true.

Hence, as has been very widely discussed, including in many posts on this blog, if Britain leaves the EU at the end of January 2020 it will not really mean that Brexit has been ‘done’. It will begin a new phase, in which future terms, including future trade terms, are under negotiation and there will be a new kind of potential cliff edge at the end of 2020.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Posted by the excellent Chris Grey on November 29th, 2019, on Twitter.
Some time in the night my Brexit Blog (https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com) had its 3 millionth visit, quite a milestone for a private, standalone blog. Many thanks to all who have read, RTed, quoted and publicised over the last 3 years.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

A new article on the possible effects of tactical voting in GE19.
With just ten days to go and polls closing from the landslide victory predicted just last week for Boris Johnson, this 12 December election is on a knife edge.

A new study confirms other studies that find tactical voting could make all the difference between a comfortable Conservative victory and a hung parliament.

National polling data puts the Conservatives ahead on an 8% lead, but also finds a high propensity among Labour and Liberal Democrat supporters to vote tactically.

But 48% of Labour supporters and 55% of Lib Dem supporters confirm they are likely to vote tactically to stop a Conservative candidate being elected in their constituency.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ber/02/12/
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

There are even some lifelong Conservatives who will vote tactically to keep them out.

However I have a bad feeling.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

One minor curiosity of this election: while in Britain the two major parties are both split down the middle on Brexit, making the result even more unpredictable than usual, in Northern Ireland there actually seems to be a close tie-up with the political parties: the Unionists are mostly Brexiteers, the Nationalists mainly pro-EU. Obviously, it is in the Unionists' interests to strengthen the links to the rest of the UK while weakening the links with Eire, while the Nationalists want the opposite to happen. Even so, a lot of Unionists are likely to be adversely affected by Brexit, so it isn't entirely predictable.