On the PM.

Tony.Williams

Re: On the PM.

Post by Tony.Williams »

I see that following the more or less enforced resignation of our US ambassador, Brexiters are warning May not to get involved in the appointment of his successor, but to leave that to BoJo (assuming he doesn't self-destruct at the last moment).

I don't normally have much time for conspiracy theories, but does this provide a clue as to the origin of the leak of those emails that started the row?
Matt

Post by Matt »

That is was a politically inspired leak from a brexiteer is I believe the leading working hypothesis. I'm told that the leaked memos include information on Trump's state visit to which Johnson wouldn't have had first hand access as it was sent after he resigned as Foreign minister. However there appear to be no shortage of allies around. I do hope that the culprit is identified though somehow doubt that the efforts made will be as swift and decisive as those surrounding Gavin Williamson's departure.
Either I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Isabel Oakeshott is only marginally more entitled to call herself a journalist than Tommy Robinson.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Matt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm Either I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Isabel Oakeshott is only marginally more entitled to call herself a journalist than Tommy Robinson.
As I recall she was the one who encouraged Vicky Pryce to spill the beans on that motoring offence by her former husband Chris Huhne, thereby getting her jailed.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Croydon13013 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm
Tony.Williams wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am Among the newspaper observations concerning BoJo's tribulations I came across a comment that after frequent rows with the girlfriend, he would like a reconciliation with his wife: as "a friend" put it, he would like everything to go back to the way it was before. I assume that means with one wife and one girlfriend. Another journo observed that this was presumably the origin of his "have cake and eat it" preference. ;)
My understanding (and this could be complete bollocks but it seems more likely than alternatives) is that THE argument was because the girlfriend had a rummage through his laptop and discovered that he was trying to reconcile with the wife and had offered to move her into No 10.
I gather that BoJo needs some new furniture for his expected move to No.10 because his ex-wife won't let him have any of theirs, and his (former?) mistress has just moved out of their shared flat into a new house - apparently on her own.

I know that it isn't necessarily the case that a completely chaotic private life carries over into professional life, but it's not a good sign.

Is he now finding out what it's like not to have cake, and not to eat it?
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Just another article with the same sort of content.
Senior Cabinet ministers have warned Boris Johnson that they will attempt to inflict maximum damage to his government if he pursues a no-deal Brexit upon reaching Downing Street.

Chancellor Philip Hammond confirmed today that he would quit the Treasury before he was sacked by Johnson, who is expected to be crowned Britain’s next Prime Minister on Tuesday.
https://www.cityam.com/cabinet-minister ... -the-helm/

My cynical view is that several MP threats will come to nothing. They will be bought, one way or another.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Ian Dunt writes about the latest PM.
Whichever way he looks, he is shackled by a deadlocked parliament. The solution is obvious: hold a general election and try to get some more loyal MPs. But he has ruled that out.

Or he could use a second referendum, but he has ruled that out too.

All the options are closed. Some are closed by reality. Others are closed by the fantasies that he peddled in order to pretend it did not exist.

So which promise does he choose to break? The promise to get rid of the backstop? Or to secure no-deal? Or to avoid an election? Or to stop a referendum? He's going to have to break one of them.

And when he does, the laughter will stop. The tittering and chortling will be gone. He'll be standing in a packed auditorium, doing one of his patched-together mock-anarchic speeches - the kind that always gets them rolling in the aisles - and there'll be stony silence.
https://politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/07/23 ... it-machine
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

He's got something right.
North Somerset MP Dr Liam Fox has been dumped from his role of Secretary of State for International Trade in Prime Minister Boris Johnson's new Government
https://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/news ... 6h9xfc9xeQ
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

It seems that Winnie the Poo hasn't just been excluding from Cabinet anyone who has expressed any doubts about a no-deal Brexit; those who supported Hunt are having a rough time as well.

This is presumably what is meant by a "unifying government" - one which only includes people who agree with you. :???:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Laura Kuenssberg outside no. 10...
They were all rushing in - they were like a load of eager puppies all seeing who could be first to get tickled by the master.
:thumb

Got the impression she wasn't that impressed.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Post by Matt »

We certainly do live in interesting times