"Bodyguard."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"Bodyguard."

Post by bindeweede »

I've just managed to catch up on the third episode of this BBC drama, and there are three more to go. It seems to be a great success and is certainly gripping. The story-line moves on at a good pace and the acting is impressive, with a good script from Jed Mercurio, who also produced the excellent "Line of Duty" series. I read somewhere that a second series is planned already.

TV well worth watching, imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... rcooler-tv
chaggle

Re: "Bodyguard."

Post by chaggle »

Gripping stuff.

I will be watching last week's again before tonight's episode - see if I can make sense of it.

Quote from Jaqui Smith on Good Morning Britain when asked if the relationship between MP and guard was close... "Yes - but not that bloody close"
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I've been saving them to binge-watch later - I hate waiting a week between episodes.
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

chaggle wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 am Quote from Jaqui Smith on Good Morning Britain when asked if the relationship between MP and guard was close... "Yes - but not that bloody close"
Alan Johnson's wife slept with his police bodyguard. I know of at least one other similar situation.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:18 pm I've been saving them to binge-watch later - I hate waiting a week between episodes.
Just watched episode 4 on iPlayer. Reminded me that with Jed Mercurio scripts, to expect the unexpected. And don't trust anyone or believe anything anyone says. But then, that sums up UK politics too, these days... :roll:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I've just watched all six episodes over the last couple of days.

Gripping stuff, with enough uncertainty over who did what to be intriguing, while still providing enough information to follow the final twists and turns of the complicated plot. I was going to comment on the effectiveness of the background music in raising the tension, except that it wasn't music as we know it, Jim - just sound effects. Very good, though.

I was impressed by the trouble they went to get technical details correct (those that I'm aware of, anyway). They even showed the correct cartridge case for the PSL rifle, a feat which is almost unheard-of. That makes it all the more surprising that one plot hole was screamingly obvious (spoiler warning - if you haven't watched the last episode, don't click on the button):
Spoiler:
When Budd recovers consciousness to find himself trapped into a bomb vest, his thumb is taped onto a dead-man switch (i.e. it's the opposite of a usual trigger which you press to detonate the bomb; this one will explode if the pressure is released). Much is made of the importance of Budd keeping the pressure on the switch, but that is obviously unnecessary since his thumb was taped firmly enough to the switch to prevent it from going off while he was unconscious, so the tape would continue to do that job without any effort on Budd's part. Where it did get dicey was when he was trying to remove his thumb from the switch....
Croydon13013

Post by Croydon13013 »

Tony.Williams wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 am I was impressed by the trouble they went to get technical details correct (those that I'm aware of, anyway). They even showed the correct cartridge case for the PSL rifle, a feat which is almost unheard-of.
They got all the detail around Ministerial bodyguards, staff who work for Ministers, etc, completely wrong.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Well, just watched the final episode on IPlayer, followed by reading Tony's brainy spoiler regarding the DMS. But whatever inaccuracies there were, still a brilliant drama and one of the best I've watched in years. Perhaps the bit of sentimentality at the end was a bit yuk, but to be fair, there has been very little of it in the rest of the series.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Had a rather odd experience - I was thinking about this programme the other day and realised that I couldn't recall how it had ended - in fact, I could recall very little about it. I had to read the Wiki plot summary to jog my memory.

It's not that unusual for me to forget fiction I've seen or read, but not so soon, and for such a dramatic series. Perhaps a consequence of binge-watching? Not giving the memory time to process it bit by bit?