PC playing up.

Croydon13013

Re: PC playing up.

Post by Croydon13013 »

Tony Williams wrote:Judging by BT's baffled/incredulous response at all levels, my problems were somewhat unusual :roll:
I had a completely different problem with BT a few years ago and got exactly the same two weeks of being passed around and back again nonsense.

BT's complete and utter incompetence is the only reason that all the other internet providers exist in the UK.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
Matt

Post by Matt »

BT being baffled and incredulous seems about standard
Zep

Post by Zep »

Matt wrote:BT being baffled and incredulous seems about standard
They are hardly alone. Australia's Telstra, a fair equivalent to BT, suffer the same problems. Usual response is some script-kiddie from the subcontinent getting you to reboot. E.g. It's my phone that's broken - how do I reboot that?
Asthmatic Camel

Post by Asthmatic Camel »

ame problems with BT when my mother moved house recently. Endless phone calls later she called me for help, virtually in tears. Problem solved within a minute: they hadn't told her she needed a filter on her extension line. In my experience, Virgin is the best company to deal with although they aren't cheap.
Tony Williams

Post by Tony Williams »

Well, all I can say is that my internet access is now faster and more reliable than it's ever been. I give most of the credit for that to the new router, but BT must be doing its part.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Bumping this old thread. I've been trying to work out why my laptop has slowed down enormously over the last week or so. This morning, it took 20 minutes to boot up, and some pages are really slow to load. I use CCleaner every night before I switch off, and I have Avast running in the background, so I try to keep my comp clear of unnecessary junk.

Trying a bit of analytical thinking - never one of my strong points! - I had noticed that I've been reminded that my Free Trial of Malwarebytes Professional runs out in a few days. I had never signed up for this, and though Malwarebytes has been installed since I got the comp several years ago, I rarely use it as it seems to be very slow.

So using CCleaner, I have uninstalled MWB. And pages now load much faster. So then I did a search and found that there is something in the MWB Professional version that uses a lot of CPU power and RAM, and that many others have disabled it, or certain of its features, at least.

Hoping that I'll find a continued improvement tomorrow. :thumb
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

My Mac also seems to be running slower than I'm used to, but it's performance is rather erratic.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Well, just 7 minutes to boot up this morning. Still longer than I think it should be, but a big improvement. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to see what other programs I can safely uninstall. Already removed Safari, as I never used it. I expect there will be others too.