"Visceral osteopathy."

bindeweede
Site Admin

"Visceral osteopathy."

Post by bindeweede »

A recent post from Edzard Ernst. He mentions that he has written about it before, though I'm afraid it is a new concept to me.
In case you wonder what visceral osteopathy (or visceral manipulation) is, one ‘expert’ explains it neatly: Visceral Osteopathy is an expansion of the general principles of osteopathy which includes a special understanding of the organs, blood vessels and nerves of the body (the viscera). Visceral Osteopathy relieves imbalances and restrictions in the interconnections between the motions of all the organs and structures of the body.
Following a systematic review, the authors wrote, "the results of the systematic review lead us to conclude that well-conducted and sound evidence on the reliability and the efficacy of techniques in visceral osteopathy is absent."

Ernst adds towards the end, "To this, the proponents of visceral osteopathy will probably say that they have tons of experience and have witnessed wonderful cures etc. This I do not doubt; however, the things they saw were not due to the effects of visceral osteopathy, they were due to chance, placebo, regression towards the mean, the natural history of the diseases treated etc., etc. And sometimes, experience is nothing more that the ability to repeat a mistake over and over again."

http://edzardernst.com/2018/02/visceral ... d-for-all/