Skeptics in the Pub

bindeweede
Site Admin

Skeptics in the Pub

Post by bindeweede »

Don't know why it has taken me this time to get round to it. It's a worldwide movement.

http://skeptic.org.uk/events/skeptics-in-the-pub
Croydon13013

Re: Skeptics in the Pub

Post by Croydon13013 »

And I was at the very first one ever!

Of course, they're not as good as they were in the old days, etc, blah.
thIS sIGnaTure iS an
Brian1945

Post by Brian1945 »

An excellent movement. I rarely miss a Newcastle SitP meeting, both the formal monthly meetings with a speaker and the informal "socials" (ie chin-wag 'n booze) which are thrown to the mix from time to time, often at short notice. Attendances are generally excellent - mostly youngsters in their 20s with a smattering of older professional types and two or three retirees like myself. A wide range of cultures and ethnicities are represented - the biggest surprise to me was a member of the Ultra-Orthodox Haredi Jewish community from Gateshead. We need many more such groups around the country.
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Brian1945 wrote:An excellent movement. I rarely miss a Newcastle SitP meeting, both the formal monthly meetings with a speaker and the informal "socials" (ie chin-wag 'n booze) which are thrown to the mix from time to time, often at short notice. Attendances are generally excellent - mostly youngsters in their 20s with a smattering of older professional types and two or three retirees like myself. A wide range of cultures and ethnicities are represented - the biggest surprise to me was a member of the Ultra-Orthodox Haredi Jewish community from Gateshead. We need many more such groups around the country.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

We once held Sitp Andalucia in my bar. It was great - all three of us turned up!
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

chaggle wrote:We once held Sitp Andalucia in my bar. It was great - all three of us turned up!
It's not always easy, is it? Last December I tried a Hertfordshire Skeps group. There were two meetings, and the average attendance was - 2 :cry: (We were only 3, anyway!)
Brian1945

Post by Brian1945 »

We must be a particularly skeptical bunch up here in Newcastle - our attendances are 30-100, depending on the topic and speaker. The biggest single group are from the Newcastle University research community, mostly in the bio-med field, with a sizable bunch of undergrads and alumni too. This pic shows a typical audience.

One of the undergrad SitP members has started the Newcastle University Skeptics Society with a similar aim to SitP - early days, but it's looking promising.