In case anyone wonders...

Tony.Williams

In case anyone wonders...

Post by Tony.Williams »

... Tony.Williams is the same as Tony Williams, I just decided to re-register because of technical problems I won't bore you with.
:roll:
chaggle

Re: In case anyone wonders...

Post by chaggle »

That helps secure my position in the post count table. :thumb:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Post by Matt »

Tony.Williams wrote:... Tony.Williams is the same as Tony Williams, I just decided to re-register because of technical problems I won't bore you with.
Well you would say that wouldn't you. But I have to day that we're, well... skeptical.

Nonetheless welcome to the forum Tony's pod person.
bindeweede
Site Admin

Post by bindeweede »

Tony.Williams wrote:... Tony.Williams is the same as Tony Williams, I just decided to re-register because of technical problems I won't bore you with.
Good to see you back, Tony, whatever the problems. :thumb:
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

Matt wrote:
Well you would say that wouldn't you. But I have to day that we're, well... skeptical.
Well, all right then, I'll confess - prepare to be bored!

The problems I have been having are due to the fact that I originally registered using an email address which is no longer accessible, the ISP having gone TU. As my computer remembered the password for me and logged me on automatically on each visit, I didn't need to know the password and eventually forgot it. I could still post messages - but only from this computer - but I no longer received any notifications. I couldn't follow the usual "forget password" and "change email" recovery processes because those involve responding to an email sent to an address which no longer exists.

Since I often use a portable computer when away from home, I decided to re-register so that you could continue to be awed and delighted by my contributions from wherever I happen to be.
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

Tony.Williams wrote: Well, all right then, I'll confess - prepare to be bored!

The problems I have been having are due to the fact that I originally registered using an email address which is no longer accessible, the ISP having gone TU. As my computer remembered the password for me and logged me on automatically on each visit, I didn't need to know the password and eventually forgot it. I could still post messages - but only from this computer - but I no longer received any notifications. I couldn't follow the usual "forget password" and "change email" recovery processes because those involve responding to an email sent to an address which no longer exists.

Since I often use a portable computer when away from home, I decided to re-register so that you could continue to be awed and delighted by my contributions from wherever I happen to be.

You could have sent a message to our admins to change your email address (probably).
It may have taken a long time as they haven't a Scooby what they are doing.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Tony.Williams wrote: Well, all right then, I'll confess - prepare to be bored!

You know when your browser remembers a password for you but you don't know it. Here's a little tip - instructions for chrome but similar options available for other browsers.

Right click on the password field and choose inspect. The goobldygook intructions your browser follows to construct your webpage are revealed and the recipe for the password entry box is highlighted.

It will probably read something like this

Code: Select all

<input type="password" tabindex="2" id="password" name="password" size="25" class="inputbox autowidth">
You'll find that if you double click on where it says type="password" you can delete that bit.
suddenly the password that previously looked like ************ now reads IloveDonuts and your forgotten password is no longer forgotten

Which is why I don't let the browser remember my passwords any more but recommend you use something like lastpass instead.
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I am awed by such technical wizardry. :bow

I only recently discovered that with the Mac you can add accented letters to text just by pressing and holding the basic letter for a couple of seconds - you then get the letter with a choice of accents. After all these years of going through the "insert symbol" rigmarole :evil: