Bakers dog food

chaggle

Bakers dog food

Post by chaggle »

Lots of this kind of thing being shared around social media...

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/bakers-pedigree-dogfood
Huge list of what's wrong with Bakers dog food including a list of 13 E-numbers and the fact that they have been banned in some countries as they are harmful.
Although found on many different sites, it's pretty obviously a cut-and-paste job.

Bakers is very popular and for sale in all supermarkets and pet shops.

I have checked some of the E-numbers and there are certainly concerns about some of them.

It is difficult to work out if it is founded in fact or if it's just a MacDonalds/Coke style hatchet job. I've not seen any refutation of the claims.

How is Joe Public (including me) supposed to know what to do? It has affected me - I have fed Bakers to my dogs in the past and don't any longer just in case and because it's easy not to - there are many similar products for sale.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Matt

Re: Bakers dog food

Post by Matt »

Well my little treasure eats James Wellbeloved since a nasty case of the squits. We do have an emergency bag of own brand stuff which we use when the prefered brand stuff runs out and we haven't been to the shops. Invariable this results in a nasty mess.

However considering the rubbish that she hoovers up off the floor I'm reminded of this http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/envi ... 1021103163

Can Bakers Complete be worse food than the used cotton bud I made her spit out the other day?
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Ha, yes!

My dogs eat all sorts of shite but it's natural shite goddamnit!

Actually they eat Hi Life - Feed me! which looks a bit like worms and is soft because most of their teeth have fallen out. I lace it with a bit of Morrisons canned meatloaf. I daren't change what they eat for the same reasons as you - it makes the results difficult to pick up with a poop bag.

I wonder if 'campaigns' such as this against Bakers have a measurable harmful effect upon their business - do people believe it or dismiss it. Or are they even reading it? Bakers dont seem to see the need to contest any of it.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

I saw that too, Chaggle...I was waiting for you to jump on and de bunk it! ;)
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tinkerbell wrote:I saw that too, Chaggle...I was waiting for you to jump on and de bunk it! ;)
Trouble is I can't debunk it - I don't know enough. And it might be true anyway although I think it unlikely that a huge company would knowingly poison our pooches.

There's a lot of woo concerning dog food including the BARF diet which has been debunked quite comprehensively - I'll see if I can find it.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ra ... qus_thread

Science Based Medicine Debunk the BARF diet.

There is a fair bit of dissent in the comments - that the article is not based on good science and so on.