SCAM therapist jailed for fraud

chaggle

SCAM therapist jailed for fraud

Post by chaggle »

This should happen more often

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57241 ... r.html.csp
Brandon Babcock, who conned elderly patients out of hundreds and thousands of dollars with a scheme that promised to rid the patients of chronic ailments, thyroid problems and diabetes, was sentenced Monday to six months in jail.
I guess the reason more people aren't convicted for this type of thing is that (at least in the UK) the SCAMmer has to know they are committing fraud. I guess that even if they know what they are doing they would easily be able to convince the court that they thought what they were doing was genuine.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Dubious Dick

Re: SCAM therapist jailed for fraud

Post by Dubious Dick »

All the more reason to put the legal onus on the seller of proving a product is effective. Since this applies to other products I simply fail to see why the principle should not be applied across the board. In fact I can't see why the 'fit for purpose' and not taking advantage of the average or vulnerable consumer provisions are not already applied.
Zep

Re: SCAM therapist jailed for fraud

Post by Zep »

As far as medicines go, there needs to be no exceptions to efficacy/toxicity testing. If the producer of a potion wants to make any claim of medical efficacy then it needs to be rated consistently. The results should be specified as an efficacy/toxicity level per amount consumed, e.g.:

0 = no measurable efficacy/toxicity at all regardless of volume consumed (e.g. water & homeopathic potions)
1 = measurable effect only if you consume over 1kg or 1 litre per dosage (e.g. homeopathic sugar pills)
2 = ditto for 100gm/100ml (about a glassful, e.g. some herbal teas)
3 = ditto for 10gm/10ml (about a teaspoonful)
8 = ditto for microgram/microlitre range (about pollen-sized)
9 = ditto for trace amounts (e.g. poisons)
10 = ditto for any consumption/contact. (e.g. nuclear fuel rods)

Any scam/alternate vendor of alt-med will either have to comply or else the product will be banned from sale or distribution to the public. Don't know why they would complain! It's formal recognition of their medical claim, isn't it? And it's not like Big Pharma has to jump through those hoops...oh wait...