Jailed for being improperly dressed

chaggle

Jailed for being improperly dressed

Post by chaggle »

I see a woman in Iran has got 2 years for removing her hijab in public.

Seems absurd and repressive to our western mindset.

But most countries I would think have laws or at least norms about what one should wear.

Is it just that some countries and cultures have different dress standards from our own current ones?

How would I fare if I walked down Weston High Street wearing merely a penis sheath like a Bornean tribesman?

Only 100 years ago I expect a lady dressed a la current Friday night mode would attract the attention of the local constabulary.

Are we that arrogant that we believe that our own current standards are the only acceptable ones?
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Ketchup

Re: Jailed for being improperly dressed

Post by Ketchup »

She got off lightly. Women have been publicly stoned to death for much lesser 'crimes'. In Saudi Arabia, for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_p ... udi_Arabia

Although the new guy in charge in S.A. has already set about radically (and quite controversially in some quarters) reforming a lot of those old Sharia laws.
Saudi Arabia's crown prince is making a lot of enemies

(I believe he's here in the UK at the moment (or at least due soon) on a 3-day visit for some wheelin' & dealin', will be wined and dined at Buck House, and a big etc.)
~ Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday ~
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

chaggle wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:11 pm Are we that arrogant that we believe that our own current standards are the only acceptable ones?
It is inevitable that we will see things from our own perspective - what's acceptable for our society, at this time, is the "normal" which we judge everything by (and that's generally the case, not just for clothing).

There is another element to this particular issue, of course, and that concerns the subjugation of women who are forced to comply with arbitrary standards set by men.
polomint38

Post by polomint38 »

chaggle wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:11 pm How would I fare if I walked down Weston High Street wearing merely a penis sheath like a Bornean tribesman?
Pictures please.