Facebook will start telling you when a story may be fake.

bindeweede
Site Admin

Facebook will start telling you when a story may be fake.

Post by bindeweede »

Facebook has struggled for months over whether it should crack down on false news stories and hoaxes that are being spread on its site. Now, it has finally come to a decision.

The social network is going to partner with the Poynter International Fact-Checking Network, which includes groups such as Snopes and the Associated Press, to evaluate articles flagged by Facebook users. If those articles do not pass the smell test for the fact-checkers, Facebook will label that evaluation whenever they are posted or shared, along with a link to the organization that debunked the story. Many of the organizations said that they're not getting paid for this.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... &tid=ss_tw
chaggle

Re: Facebook will start telling you when a story may be fake

Post by chaggle »

bindeweede wrote:
Facebook has struggled for months over whether it should crack down on false news stories and hoaxes that are being spread on its site. Now, it has finally come to a decision.

The social network is going to partner with the Poynter International Fact-Checking Network, which includes groups such as Snopes and the Associated Press, to evaluate articles flagged by Facebook users. If those articles do not pass the smell test for the fact-checkers, Facebook will label that evaluation whenever they are posted or shared, along with a link to the organization that debunked the story. Many of the organizations said that they're not getting paid for this.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... &tid=ss_tw
Interesting comments for and against under that article including (unsurprisingly) that it's false. :roll:
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con
Tony.Williams

Post by Tony.Williams »

I read recently that searching for items about the Holocaust pulled up denier posts above anything else. So I checked it on google and discovered that's not true :ugeek:

The top dozen hits are factual accounts (as far as a quick glance can determine), the first one to feature deniers discusses them as such.
chaggle

Post by chaggle »

Tony.Williams wrote:I read recently that searching for items about the Holocaust pulled up denier posts above anything else. So I checked it on google and discovered that's not true :ugeek:

The top dozen hits are factual accounts (as far as a quick glance can determine), the first one to feature deniers discusses them as such.
I suspect it might depend upon your search history. Those who regularly search or browse such nonsense are probably rewarded with more nonsense.

So you get sensible stuff.
Don't blame me - I voted remain :con